Category Archives: Site development tasks

Khan Academy and Google Sites Changes

Just finished KA Grade 7 Math as a fictitious student, so I needed to set up another chart and table section to the KA2 page.  Should have been easy to add another chart from the same tab in Excel, but Onedrive wouldn’t recognize it, even though it was clearly there in Excel.

Finally had to make another worksheet and add the new table and chart for Grade 8 Math to it.  That satisfied Onedrive and I’m back in business.

The other change I’m messing with is to copy and paste the entire list of individual student skills mastery from Khan Academy into a new tab in the workbook.  Looks like this will save considerable time versus c&p each section.

I put in a request for new features to the KA support forum, but don’t know how much that is monitored.  What I need to be able to do is download data from all students and all skills at one time.  If I had a full classroom of students, doing it like I am now would be extremely tedious.

Automation, right?

Works in Progress

When I first learned how to make web sites back in the early 90’s, I used Netscape Composer, Microsoft FrontPage, Adobe Dreamweaver, and BBEdit. Some of the sites used frames, but most were single collections of HTML pages with a few JavaScript features thrown in.

The most successful of all the projects still being maintained is the public version of the Copper River | Chitina Dipnet Fishery Escapement Charts site. It was first published in 2003 as a single page, one stop site for everything relative to planning a successful dipnet harvest of Copper River salmon. Its subscription version is made with Drupal, and has vastly more information and features than the original site.

I used to have all of my sites and pages hosted by a local dial-up provider. I maintained the account for years after switching to a DSL account with a different provider just because I didn’t want to have to change all of my links.

Eventually, I let the dial-up account expire, since I was no longer maintaining the old sites. Now that I’m using a different web hosting provider and a DSL internet service provider, I’ve been learning much about the benefits of different site-building tools.

The goal now is to modify my old education-related sites so they can be accessed through this current platform.  Some of the pages are so outdated that they’re not worth republishing. In those cases, I’ll need to remove the links to them.

Other sites are definitely worth keeping, so I’ll have to decide if I want them to work as stand-alones or incorporate them into more modern website environments.

SchoolTown Classroom Environment